7.17.2013

Healthy Cookies!

If you read the title, you might be thinking to yourself: "ummm cookies are not healthy." But these are!

Recently I was catching up on Crafty Healthy Mommy's blog, and I found a recipe for healthy banana oatmeal cookies. Only two ingredients are required, ripe bananas, and oatmeal. Seriously, that's it.

I was so intrigued that I had to try it. Luckily bananas, and oatmeal are a pretty standard staple in my diet, so I had both items in my pantry. The recipe calls for 2 bananas, and 1 cup of oatmeal. Could it really get any easier?

For my first try I split the batter in half and tried adding different things. For one half all I added was some vanilla, and cinnamon. For the other half I added some chocolate pb2, and cinnamon. Then I spread the mixture on my cookie sheet, and set it in the oven (350 degrees) for like 10 minutes.


I have found that a full batch (1 cup oatmeal, 2 bananas) makes around 16 cookies. You could make them bigger or smaller depending on your preference. And because these cookies do not rise at all, make sure you plop them on the baking sheet in the exact size you want.

The verdict: I really loved the texture, I felt like I was eating a cookie. However I thought they tasted a little bland. But I am thinking that's because I didn't use a ripe enough banana.

I have since made a ton of more of these, trying different ingredients. The riper the banana, the better. Also I like to add a bunch of cinnamon and a small sprinkle of truvia. I also think coconut would be a great addition. And if you don't care about keeping them too healthy, chocolate or butterscotch chips would be heavenly.

I made like 3 batches of these, and brought them with me for my 4th of July weekend. It was the perfect thing to bring. I could eat them for breakfast, a drunken snack, or a dessert. And they actually lasted at least 5 days without getting spoiled. I put some in the fridge, but I actually prefer when they are not cold. And cold or not they did not spoil!

I am sure I will be trying out more batches with different add-ins, and when I find the perfect combination I will be sure to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...