7.20.2012

Note to Self: Kale Doesn't Blend Well

Do not put kale into a protein shake. I repeat, do NOT put kale into a blended protein shake! This may sound like common sense to those of you who are not adventurous in your eating. However, last night I thought this sounded like a great idea. I have previously blended spinach into a protein shake, and it turned out just fine. Other than the green tint, I couldn't even tell that there was spinach in my yummy chocolate protein shake. So last night, when making my protein shake I thought kale would blend up just as nicely. Wrong. I was so horribly and utterly wrong.

Because kale is a little more structured and rigid than spinach, I ended up with a cup full of what I am calling 'kale flecks.' After taking my first sip, I felt as though someone had put a handful grass clippings into my cup. It tasted just fine, but the texture was all wrong. With every sip I had a mouth full of hard kale flecks. Gross. But since I am not a quitter or a waster, I pressed on and drank the entire cup. Half way through I started washing down every sip of the concoction with a large gulp of water. This helped, but by no means did I get used to the texture. Never again will I be foolish enough to add kale to a blended drink. Never. Again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...