11.18.2013

Family Bonding

Last week I was able to spend 5 days at home. And it was wonderful. Which is not usually the reaction that I have while staying in my hometown. It's not exactly my favorite place to be, but this time it was different. I have finally embraced the notion that home is wherever my family is. I would really love to move out of the tundra that is Minnesota, but I know I would miss my family. A lot.

I sort of have my own little modern family. My mom and dad were never married, and both got married to other people after I was born. My parents get along very well, which I appreciate. I never had to deal with a messy divorce, or choosing my favorite parent. My dad got married and had two additional children, which gave me a little sister and brother. My mom got married and never had any other children, but my step dad already had older children. Truly I have the best of both worlds, I am an only child, and have siblings. I have a set of living grandparents, and I am their only grandchild. I honestly couldn't ask for a better situation.

My dad and step mom divorced about 9 years ago, but remain close. My step mom had another daughter with someone else. I refer to her as my little sister's little sister (confused yet?), but I most definitely consider both my ex-step mom and my sister's sister a part of my family. Divorce means nothing to me or my family. It's not an end, it's just an adjustment.

While I was home I was able to reflect on how truly blessed that I am. I know this probably sounds corny, but I so rarely take the time to stop and count my blessings. After my trip I was left with chills at the thought of how outrageously in love I am with my family. I am proud of every single one of them. And I feel a connection to every single one of them. There is such power in having people in your life who will love you no matter what. And feeling the same love toward them.

Now is the time of year to be thankful. To count blessings. And to reflect on what we have, and not on what we need. I hope this post can serve as a reminder to really appreciate the people that you have in your life. Whether they are blood relatives, or the people you have chosen to be your family. Chose today to be the day that you send a message and remind them that you are thinking of them. A little sentiment can really go a long way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...