2.28.2013

12 Days Off

I recently went to St. Thomas, USVI for a week of vacation. My step brother got married, and everything about the trip was just perfect. Day drinking, daily beach bumming, sun, rum, etc. Prior to going on vacation I felt a cold coming on, so I ended up avoiding the gym for 12 whole days.

Before the trip I had made the decision to eat and drink whatever I wanted. And I had no plans of working out, other than swimming and walking. I wanted to fully relax, and not be so obsessed with calories, and fitness. Can you blame me? Who wants to count calories while trying to relax?

When arriving on the beach, the first drink I ordered was a rum and diet. And that was probably the last sensible drink that I ordered. After that I was drinking rum punches, painkillers, pina coladas, and any other blended drink filled with fat and sugar.



Well, I take that back. I brought crystal light drink mix on the trip, so every time I would make my own drink, I would use crystal light. Side note: rum and raspberry lemonade crystal light is real good.

Anytime I was at a restaurant or a bar I would order a rum punch or a painkiller. No diet anything. A painkiller is to die for. It's rum with pineapple juice, orange juice, and cream of coconut. My new sister-in-law was smart enough to concoct a painkiller made with mango rum, and blended. It was so damn tasty. I want one right now.


As far as my eating goes, I ate alright. I didn't eat the best foods, but I also didn't binge. Basically I just didn't worry about food. On a daily basis food is constantly on my mind. Constantly.

After breakfast, I am thinking about what I can eat for a snack. At the gym I am thinking about what I can eat for dinner. When I am stressed I am thinking about what sort of skinny sweet treat I can shove into my mouth.

On vacation I didn't stress about food at all. I would eat eggs in the morning, and make a drink. Then I would basically just eat when I was hungry. Not a new concept, I know. Sometimes I would just eat a banana and peanut butter, other times I would eat healthy pop popcorn, but sometimes I would eat french fries or fried pickles.


Another side note: Hooters has the best deep fried pickles. They are sooooo good.

I thought for sure that I would gain weight, and I didn't care. I wrote about my success in this post, but then I went back up in weight. Awesome. So before leaving for my trip I was dancing in between 179 and 180.

I wasn't going to weigh myself for like a week after vacation. Unfortunately to get some reimbursement from my insurance for Weight Watchers, I have to weigh in a certain number of times each month and I had already missed the Monday during my vacation. So....I was forced to see my weight, a day after my vacation....

And I was actually 179! Woo! And on Tuesday at the gym I was 177! Double woo! I have no idea how I pulled that off. Maybe for once my metabolism doesn't completely hate me.

It also could be my stress level. I was blissfully happy while on vacation. I didn't care about anything. So even though I ate things that were deep fried, maybe it helped that I didn't stress over anything. Who knows.

On a separate note, this was the first vacation that I have ever been on when I didn't feel self conscious. I'm still not at my goal weight, but I never felt embarrassed to be in my swim suit. I never once hated my body. Which felt incredible. It made all my hard work feel like it was worth it! And it gave me motivation to keep going on my journey!



I would have never ever before suggested to get my photo taken on a beach, but I actually initiated both of these photos! And I am so glad to have these memories. I mean I wish that I could be rocking a bikini, but I am going to focus on the small triumphs instead!  

One last thought; jumping back into my diet life and exercise wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I gave up carbs for the week, with the exception of fruit. I have also been back at the gym and don't feel like I took too much time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...