5.22.2013

22nd Birthday

My birthday is September 4th. My aha moment was October 31st. The picture that sparked my aha moment was from my 22nd birthday.

September 4th and October 31st are almost two months away. So you may be wondering why it took 2 months for me to get my ass in gear. Well, this picture did not actually get posted until Halloween. My roommate posted a fall photo album onto facebook and my birthday party was included. And just in case you need a reminder of what my scary/fat photo looked like, here it is:


The whole album was an eye opening experience, because this was not the only bad one. Here are a few more: 



Look at the size of those boobs. In the picture below I am trying to hide the cleavage....


Damn, these photos are hard to look at. But it's nice to know that I do not look this way any longer. My boobs have dropped like 4 cup sizes! FOUR! 

Anyway, I was thinking back to my 22nd birthday, and I was remembering how insecure I was about myself. For my birthday we went to a dueling piano bar. And at this bar it's common for birthday people to get called to stage, jump on the piano and be serenaded.

I did not want this. I did not want this at all. I thought that everyone in my party was very aware of how much I did not want for this to happen. I was wrong. One of my friends put in a request for me to be called up to stage. 

I was livid. I was more than livid. I was terrified, embarrassed, nervous, disgusted, mortified, etc. I was so distressed at the thought of having to go up on stage and having to hoist myself onto a piano that I started to feel light headed.

I immediately ran to the bathroom to hide. All I kept thinking was that everyone at the bar would have to see me try and hoist my obese body up onto the piano. And I knew that I would fail. That I would not be able to get myself onto this somewhat tall piano. And I was sure that everyone in the bar would be thinking "damn, that girl needs to lose some weight, she can't even lift herself onto a piano." 

In reality maybe no one would have been thinking that, but at the time I was so convinced that everyone would be starring at me in disgust. In the bathroom I was starring at myself in disgust. After sitting in the bathroom long enough that my name was called, I emerged, grabbed my roommate, and stormed out of the bar. 

I cried myself to sleep that night. I remember feeling so gross about myself. I felt irrational. What kind of person doesn't enjoy some birthday attention? Instead of loving my birthday, I spent the end of the evening feeling overwhelmed, and unhappy with myself. 

After my birthday I knew that I needed to change something, but I didn't have the motivation yet.  It wasn't until two months later when I saw those photos and remembered that night that I was finally ready. I finally had the motivation that I needed to start. 

At one time I loathed the photos that are above. I could barely look at them. I was mad at my roommate for posting them. Why would she post such awful pictures of me? But now I realize that they saved my life. They gave me what I needed. And for that I am grateful. 

My journey to a hot bod has not been perfect, far from it. It's been frustrating, intimidating, and a complete emotional roller coaster. Sometimes I feel like giving up, or just staying at my current weight. But seeing those photos and remembering that night gives me another jolt of motivation. I am ready to beat this plateau!

Oh, and in case you were wondering, this year for my 23rd birthday we went back to the dueling piano bar. And I got up on the piano, willingly. I still had some trouble hoisting myself up there, but  the difference was that I was no longer embarrassed of the body that I worked so hard to get. Maybe when I turn 24 I will be able to leap up on the piano with agility, I'll keep my fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...