5.02.2012

Making Progress!

I have been working out at the YWCA at least 5 times a week, for about 6 months now. I have tried a few different work out methods, but have found pretty similar weight loss results with all of them. When I first joined the YWCA I was very intimidated to attend an aerobic class of any kind. I went to a few yoga classes but for the most part I stuck to the elliptical and weight machines. Though this initially brought results, I got bored and my weight loss hit a plateau. The first cardio class that I decided to attend was called Cardio Kick and it was pure hell! I lasted twenty minutes, ran out of the room wheezing, breathing heavy, and feeling like I was going to puke, pass out or collapse. Sounds like a night after drinking, minus being blacked out. I unfortunately was very cognizant and aware of how out of shape I really was. On this particular day, the class involved 3 minute long jump rope intervals. Jumping (and running) is not a an ideal activity for someone who is relatively overweight, out of shape and top heavy, like myself.

After a month of avoiding cardio kick and just using the elliptical, weight machines and yoga, I decided to go back to this dreaded class. But to my surprise, I was able to make it through the entire class. Granted, after completing the class I looked as though I had been ravaged by a pack of wolves and left for dead. But the point is, I made it through an entire class and I felt invincible. After 4 months of attending this class on a weekly basis, I can now say that I regularly complete this class without feeling defeated, worn out or like I am going to pass out. It's the small victories, really. 

In addition to this class I have been brave enough to try cycling, step class, zumba and a weight lifting class. I think that by attending (and successfully completing) these classes I have given myself the illusion that I am a bad ass in-shape athlete. This week I was reminded of why I am not a bad ass in-shape athlete. On Monday I decided to attend a circuit training class, A.K.A. gym class on steroids. The basic premise of this class is that you start out jogging around the gym and then you proceed from station to station for 90 second intervals. For the most part the stations alternate between cardio and strength training. This.Shit.Was.Hard. I was sweating and out of breath within the first station, which of course was jump rope. I was half way through with this class, and I had a small aha moment; I had successfully ran laps, ran sprints, and jumped rope, all of which I physically could not do just a few months prior. Though I still felt like I was going to puke at one point, I was able to complete the class and am actually excited to attend next week!

Update: Last post I had discussed going beast mode. I have dropped my 2-hour gym sessions down to twice a week. I have noticed a slight difference in the rate of my weight loss but nothing too significant. Though I am sure that these 2-hour sessions have given me the endurance to complete cardio kick and circuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...