12.01.2012

Bye Bye Mayo, Hello Healthy

Today I had an aha moment while making my lunch. I was having a sandwich for lunch, which is not something I eat that often but for some reason today I was in the mood. Before I gave up eating meat I loved snacking on slices of lunch meat, so in order to keep protein in my diet I now snack on fake lunch meat. Tofurky slices, to be exact. Since I had some fake lunch meat on hand, I decided that a sandwich was calling my name.

Prior to my dieting days I would make all of my sandwiches with mayo, and a cheese slice. When I was even younger I thought that the best sandwich was made with white bread, mayo, cheddar cheese, and bologna. That makes me sound a little bit like white trash. Oh well, it's what I liked. Although now, the thought of white bread freaks me out, I can almost feel the bread sticking to the roof of my mouth!

Anyway, I love mayo on a sandwich, even an egg sandwich. I love sauces in general, it's wired in my brain that I need to have sauce on both sides of a sandwich. Back in my fat girl days I would put ranch on one slice of bread and mayo on the other. Go ahead, you can judge me. So today when making my sandwich I was trying to figure out what I could put on my sandwich, since I try to avoid ranch and mayo.

As I was riffling through my fridge I also realized that I did not have a slice of Weight Watchers cheese to put on my sandwich. And that is when I had my aha moment! I did not need cheese or mayo. I always tend to have Laughing Cow Cheese Spread on hand (or in this case Crystal Farms, since it was on sale) so I figured that I could just spread a wedge of the cheese onto one side of my sandwich. Which would take care of the naked side of bread AND solve my cheese problem.



I smeared a fourth of an avocado on the other slice of bread, added the meat, tomato and drizzled mustard all over the top. 


Low Carb Bread: 2 points (1 point per slice)
Tofurky Lunch Meat: 2 points
1/4 of an Avocado: 2 points
1 Cheese Wedge: 1 points
Mustard: 0 points
Sandwich Total: 7 points

I realize that this post may seem like I am taking my sandwich making skills a little too seriously (and I probably am). But that is what dieting and more specifically, that aha moment is all about. It's all about figuring out those little dieting tips that make healthy eating so much easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...