12.13.2012

Holiday Indulging

The holiday season is upon us, which tends to be a nightmare for most dieters, myself included. I feel like I could fall off the healthy eating wagon at any moment. That being said, I made it through Thanksgiving and actually lost 2 whole pounds! Although I am not sure how that happened because I let my inner fat girl take over for the day and eat anything she could get her hands on. But that was kind of my game plan going into the holiday; eat liberally on the actual holiday but then go back to healthy eating the next day.

This is also going to be my plan of attack for the whole holiday season. I am not going to think of Christmas as a month long extravaganza and use it as an excuse to stuff my face all month long and avoid the gym. Although that sounds wonderful.

But I think that is the reason that people tend to gain weight around the holidays. Somehow it gets justified to eat liberally from mid October until January 1st, and that is when the New Years resolutions start.

Today at work we had our holiday party. And I was nervous. There was a whole table dedicated to desserts. And I am happy to report that I successfully navigated the party without indulging (too much), and without binging. 

How did I manage to do this? Well...

1) I started off by placing a bowl on my plate, so that way my plate had less room for food. The bowl had vegetarian chili, and the rest of my plate had salad with non-fat balsamic dressing.

2) The next thing that I did was place myself at the end of a table, in the corner. This way it would be harder for me to get up and navigate my way back to the buffet table for seconds.

3) I chose my dessert selectively. I asked people what their favorite dish was and what was worth the calories. I tried a small bite of cake off of my coworkers plate and then I starred at all of the desserts, debating what would really be worth the calories. This part was hard. I needed to practice self control like no other. Finally I chose to have a brownie with salted caramel drizzled on top. At the end of the day a brownie is my all time favorite dessert and I knew I would not be disappointed. And it was to die for and totally worth it!

4) Lastly I evaluated my hunger level and decided that there was one more thing that I wanted to try, and that was a small dab of homemade macaroni and cheese. Which again, was good and worth it.

So this should be the part of the post that I post pictures of all of the foods that I avoided. However I didn't take any pictures. I didn't want to be that weird girl in front of 60+ people that was snapping pictures of the buffet line. But I will add some photos of me from last year compared to this year, because apparently losing weight and blogging has turned me into a complete narcissist. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12/19/2012

    Even your antlers have lost weight. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...