1.07.2013

The Biggest Loser

I have never watched a season of The Biggest Loser. I know, I am late to the party on this one. However, I have watched every single episode of Extreme Make-Over: Weight Loss Edition. I tend to get really obsessed with weight loss anything - trashy reality shows, blogs, pinterest fitness section, my own weight loss, hating skinny people, etc. Obsessed. So I am sure I will fall in love with The Biggest Loser, cry over their success and then try to find and watch all of the past seasons.

Anyway, I watched the first episode of this season and I am already pretty intrigued. Although, I don't like the idea of fast weight loss results. I don't think it's healthy, nor do I think it creates healthy habits to support a healthy lifestyle. I also don't like the idea of sending people home just because they didn't lose as much weight as someone else. I know what it's like to work hard, eat clean but still experience a plateau, so I don't think it's fair that someone gets sent home. But I am just repeating everything that has already been said in the last 14 seasons. And of course I am going to watch anyway.

The one thing that I do love about this season is that they are bringing awareness to childhood obesity. It's becoming such a huge problem is our society and I don't think that it gets enough attention. I wasn't necessarily an obese child, but I can relate to the feeling of being insecure about my weight. If a guy didn't find me attractive I always assumed it was because of my size.

Anyway, as I was watching the first episode I couldn't help but notice all of the beginning weights among the women.  There were eight women competing in the show, and five of them weighed 246 or lower. Ummm...246 was my starting weight.

Before I had my aha moment I never thought that I was obese. I knew that I was a bigger girl, but I never thought that I was thaaatt big. I would have never even dreamed of being heavy enough to participate on one of those shows. Those shows were for the real big fatties, not a little fat girl like me. But seriously, five of the women weighed the same or lower than me. Mind blowing. Completely eye opening.

If only I had applied for the show, I could have become famous. HA! No. I am proud of my own journey. Even though I have had times when I wished that I were thinner or that my weight came off faster, I am so glad my weight came off slow. My skin has had time to shrink back, I continue to work hard every day, and I know that this is a lifestyle and I will never go back to my old ways. Some of these women lost more weight in one week than I did in four months, which I find to be unrealistic.

So even though I don't like that they lose weight at a quick rate, I still love watching a show where I relate to other people. Being overweight is something that you could never understand unless you have been there. Ever.

One last note, I think I am going to end up liking Jillian Michaels. I have seen her on other shows and I usually find her abrasive and just ick. But I kind of like her no excuses attitude. In order to change yourself you cannot have excuses, so I am glad that she doesn't allow people to get away with shit. And of course I love Bob Harper, I have for awhile. He is just so damn sweet, motivational, and easy on the eyes.

And my favorite contestant thus far is Jackson, the chubby gay kid. Go figure.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...