10.01.2013

R.I.P.P.E.D.

I thought it would be fun to do a series of posts outlining and critiquing the various things that I have tried at the gym. I am not a professional trainer, so all of these posts will be my own opinions, and personal findings.

I have done a post on cycling, and rowing. And for this one I will be focusing on a class called R.I.P.P.E.D.

Description:
R.I.P.P.E.D. is a choreographed class that is designed to be a plateau proof class because the choreograph changes every few months. The name of the class is an acronym that describes the format of the class and stands for Resistance. Intervals. Power. Plyometrics. Endurance. Diet.

Each song represents one of those words, so the song for Intervals has a much faster tempo than the song for Resistance. In the classes that I have attended, no certain diet plan is discussed, but it does serve as a reminder that diet plays a role in weight loss.

For a month or two the choreography to each song is exactly the same, which is designed so that each class you can get better and stronger.

Duration: 50-55 minutes depending on how much time each instructor spends demonstrating different moves.

Level of like (10) or dislike (0): About a 7. I think the concept for the class is good, teaches a lot of basic workout techniques. However I get extremely bored with classes when I know exactly what to expect. If I know that a class has a burpees portion, I start out the class with a feeling of dread. As opposed to walking into a class feeling excited and then having burpees sprung on me.

This also happens for me with music. In the current release I don't like two of the songs, so now I find that I don't want to go to the class as often because I hate the songs so much. Also I find that I like lifting weights on my own much better. When I lift weights on my own, I tend to life a lot heavier, and push myself harder. But that's just me.

Benefits:
-The class is designed so that you ideally will burn anywhere between 750-1000 calories in each class. When I finally get myself a heart rate monitor, I would be curious to see if this is true for me.
-You get a full body workout. There are aspects of cardio, strength/resistance, core, and stretching.
-You learn new workout moves. The current release has a move called clock lunges, and they are actually kind of fun!



Advice for first timers:
-Go more than once. If I had written this post after the first class I attended I would probably not have had anything positive to say. But I forced myself to go back, and once I had learned the material I ended up enjoying the class a lot more.
-Tell your instructor that you are new. This can be hard or intimidating to do, but trust me, if an instructor knows that you have never attended the class they will break down the choreography a lot better.

And if you want to learn more, or find a class near you, here is the link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...