10.24.2013

Running.

As you may have figured out by now, I have decided to do a series of posts dedicated to critiquing various exercises. I am not a personal trainer, so all of these posts will be my own opinions, and personal findings.
So far I have outlined:
Cycling
Row Machine
R.I.P.P.E.D. 
Yoga

Today is all about running.
Description: I am thinking I probably don't need to give a definition of running....

Duration: My personal best was 2 miles in twenty minutes. However you can run for as long or as short as your little heart desires!

Level of like (10) or dislike (0):  Probably like a 2. And that is being kind. I hate running. A lot. I have tried, and tried, and tried to like running. Not even just like running, but just tolerate running. I just can't seem to find my stride.

Sometimes it upsets me because I am so envious of people who can effortlessly run. I used to feel weak because I just couldn't enjoy running. But now I have stopped making myself do something that I don't enjoy. Plus I have found running to be really bad for my lower back, and knees. I still get in my cardio each week, and I work hard. Really hard. So now instead of hating every run, I enjoy my gym time so much more, which to me is really important for success.

Benefits: 
-It makes fat melt right off! Running provides more of a calorie burn than most cardio activities.
-It can be done anywhere. You don't need a gym, or a treadmill.
-There are tons of charity sponsored running events. Very rarely will you hear about a stepathon with all the money going to cancer research. But if there were a stepathon, I would totally do it!
-It helps with stress. Runners are always talking about using running as a way to clear the mind.

Advice for first timers: 
-Learn proper running technique.
-Find the right shoes. I used to run with tennis shoes not meant for running, and I got shin splints every time. Once I found a proper running shoe, it made it easier.
-Don't give up right away. It took me almost 2 years of trying before I finally decided that running was not my thing. However some people may find that running is for them. You just gotta try, and try.
-Constantly change your playlist. The only thing that kept me running was switching up my music. I use party music because it reminds me of partying, and wanting to look hot while partying. Pathetic? Yes. Motivating? Yes.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed that video, definitely gonna try that later today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a runner. At all. It kills my knees! Plus, the whole asthma thing kinda sucks too. Maybe one day. Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadine Lynn, I used to be with you on the asthma thing! I started taking my inhaler preventively before running and it's made all the difference. Now I can run several miles without needing an inhaler. It's amazing what running has done for my asthma. I still take the inhaler preventively, especially when running outside because of my allergies, but if I forget it's usually not a problem!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...